Tuesday, September 19, 2006

"I don't get no respect."

So I was watching the big Notre Dame/U. of M. game on Saturday, which was enjoyable. I'm not the world's biggest sports fan (I don't have time, what with working out the logistics of 50WD and all), but I do like football, and it was more than a little gratifying to see #11 Michigan win their road opener by wiping the floor with an old rival, who happen to also be the no. 2-ranked team in the country. Ah, Autumn. Anyways, watching the game I was struck once again by the striking resemblance that Fighting Irish head coach Charlie Weis bears to the late comic Rodney Dangerfield. Sure, Weis is a little fatter and a little less dead, but I have to think that I'm not the only one who noticed this. I didn't watch the post-game press conference, but I like to imagine that Weis' comments went something like this:

“So I went down to the stadium today, stop me if you’ve heard this one. I was havin’ the time of my life until I realized I was supposed to be coaching a football game, instead of watchin’ the cheahleadahs. This football team I got, they don’t give me no respect. I tell ‘em to run the football, they run 11 yahds in the whole game! I tell ‘em to pass the football, they pass it right to the other team! I shoulda been coaching the cheahleadahs, they were doin’ what I wanted ‘em to do!”

No comments: