Friday, February 03, 2006

If only I could put in words the music that I hear...

Hello again. Not much to report of late, I'm afraid. I'm already behind on reading for all of my classes, and need to frantically catch up before it piles sky high. Oh well, I'll manage. Alan Greenspan's been replaced by Ben Bernanke, Sandra Day O'Connor's been replaced by Samuel Alito, and (as is not unusual) the only Oscar category worth following is the Best Animated Feature Film Category, a three-way race between Hayao Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle (I haven't seen it yet, but a Miyazaki film can hardly be anything but brilliant), Tim Burton's Corpse Bride (also haven't seen it, and I'd be willing to bet that Burton does more acid than Jimi Hendrix did, but still I hear good things), and Nick Park's Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were Rabbit (I did in fact see this, and it's great). Of course, this still won't entice me to watch the Oscars any more than previous years' film offerings have (which, by the way, is not at all), but I'm still interested in who wins, because whichever film does win is likely to merit a longer run in theatres (as happened with Miyazaki's Spirited Away, some years back). Dramas continue to dominate the Best Picture category, which I still think is lame (then again, I'm talking about the Academy of Motion Pictures, or whatever it's called). I mean, do you really want to spend nine bucks (assuming that you buy no popcorn or drinks) to cry in a theatre full of strangers? Yeah, me neither. Anyways, I'll stop blathering on about this and let you get on with your life, which I'm sure is full of more important things. I'll try to at least mention something that I care about in passing next time around. Peace and love and what-not to all of you, good night.

3 comments:

D.Cous. said...

This post has been made possible by Parentheses. Do you not know how to convey your useless thoughts in well-organized, conventional sentences? Parentheses are for you! (Use only as directed). Possible side effects include causing irritation to others, mild indigestion, and in some (very rare) cases, death.

Reenie said...

you're a hoot man. can't say i watch the grammys or oscars either, but it is interesting to hear what atchy gets nominated. saw Wallace & Grommit with maryn on monday, which was great fun. very amusing. and not as creepy as the dudes we ran into at borders (you can check my xanga for that story my screen name is favorte_aunt). anyway, good luck on all that reading. guess its good you're not a football fan so you'll have lots of time this weekend (wink wink) :D Love ya!

Lindsey said...

:) Smile. I will admit, and you won't be surprised, that I actually have watched an entire Oscars presentation. It was back in the LOTR phase (which I think I'm still in) when Return of the King was nominated for (and won!) all those awards. Beyond that, mostly I get really bored with the long and overly gratuitous thank you speeches. If only the person would go up there and take the statue, shake a few hands and VAMOOS! But I suppose that would take away some, if not all, of the hype.

Funny quote of the day from Maryn that involves both parentheses and a new nickname for you (which I won't be using):
"glad you had fun with the Donze (like that one? it's a long 'o') and stuff."